Lead Product Design
Salary: £70,000 - £85,000 per annum - Bonus - Benefits - Healthcare options
Location: London (Travel UK wide)
Our client is one of the world’s most successful innovation and design companies and has recently turbo-charged our UK business through a number of mergers and acquisitions.
They’re growing fast, and their next move is to build on our global heritage in brand consultancy and launch a market leading UK brand offer.
You’ll be responsible for leading our multidisciplinary approach to designing and launching products, services and businesses - some of the bravest projects our clients have ever launched. You’ll also lead the advancement of our approach, help to grow our culture, coach junior members of the team, and lead and inspire our clients. By developing great relationships with clients you’ll also be creating opportunities for new business.
Our design team is an incredibly talented bunch of hybrids and this is something we embrace. The team consists of people with a background in research, UX, UI, visual design, and brand. We know that unicorns don’t exist but we do like hybrid designers who span multiple areas of product design, often with particular strength in one or two of these areas, and especially those who have been a part of teams who have launched products to market, or who have worked on products in-market. We’re flexible about what your experience is.
• Lead the delivery of complex service and product design projects
• Lead multi-disciplinary teams to design, prototype and build cutting-edge propositions and products
• Take a lead role in defining product design strategy
• Deliver quality design work, while coaching other designers, and inspire the client towards these standards
• Lead experiments and design sprints
• Lead advancing our clients design approach
• Lead clients to successfully influence long-lasting change
• Play a leading role in our product design Community of Practice and industry and regularly share your work and ideas with the broader team and community
Why this role?
As a Lead for my client you will perform the project lead or lead practitioner role for your practice, depending on the size, complexity and needs of the project. You will provide input into or own project planning and set up to ensure that you and the team can do your best work. You will still play a hands-on role, however this will be balanced with leading others in their work, so you will shift away from some of the doing.
You will be seen by the clients as a trusted expert practitioner and you’ll need to build strong trusted relationships with these groups, listening to their needs and effectively managing their expectations. Working with a Director and Principal, you’ll help to identify opportunities to extend the current project or do other work with the client, as well as actively participating and leading in Community of Practice efforts, hiring activity for your practice and broader studio efforts.
• Experience of product innovation, digital transformation, and customer experience design
• An understanding of the challenges and intricacies of designing for digital
• Experience of getting involved in all stages of the product and service design process, from initial analysis, workshops, sketches, ideas and concepts through to user research, prototyping and the final delivery of designs
• Experience of taking a product to market by working closely with developers and optimising the performance of that product over time through testing and iteration
• A combination of experience across designing for mobile and web user-focused applications, as well as denser, information-rich interfaces
• A focus on process and proof. Testing and iterating must be an inherent part of your approach
• Information architecture, prototyping, personas and storytelling, behavioural economics, and/or ethnographic research experience
• Experience of facilitating workshops, design sprints and ideation sessions
• Strong business acumen and a hunger to learn more
• The drive to deliver excellent work and lead others towards this also
• The drive to proactively identify and implement improvements to the way we work
• Experience of managing and leading teams
• Comfort leading sessions with senior clients
• The ability to mediate and mend relationships
• The instinct to recognise when something doesn’t work
• Strong feedback skills and the drive to role model these activities
• The ability to manage up and initiate difficult conversations with the project leadership team
• Comfort reflecting on your individual performance and behaviours and, together with feedback from others, you will actively seek to continuously improve
• Passion about helping to create an environment where people can do great work
• Buckets of positivity and a “can do” attitude
Don’t worry about being a 100% fit. That’s impossible nonsense, anyway. If this sounds like an interesting opportunity to you, and you think it could work, let’s chat.
To apply please click the “Apply” button and follow the instructions.