Our client is an industry leading tech start-up based in Reading. Their SaaS solution helps organisations solve the challenges associated with safeguarding and preserving digital assets for decades into the future.
They have the technology, funding, experience, and capability to scale their business quickly.
They are growing to meet the needs of their expanding client base and to scale out their growth in the coming years and as a result, we are actively looking for someone who can lead our growing development team.
Their people are hands-on, entrepreneurial thinkers and doers. As a scaling start-up you are well supported by the open, approachable leadership team and given the freedom to deliver against the overall business goals.
Your ability to manage, and work within a team, engage and build relationships is a trait which comes naturally. You can quickly ascertain insights from stakeholder conversations and have a can-do approach and drive to push the innovation of the company forward.
The successful candidate will have demonstratable experience in a high growth, and high complexity environment where they played a key role in managing development teams and leading the architecture of software solutions, through the full software lifecycle.
This role will be a key member of the senior management team. Reporting to the CTO, you will work closely with other senior leadership to ensure the effective operation of the engineering team.
Your role will include:
- Building and leading a team of software engineers, with formal line management responsibility and a focus on developing and maximising potential in all engineers.
- Helping make the engineering team be an enjoyable, fulfilling and fun place to work.
- A remit to deliver software, which is well developed, on time, well tested and deployable.
- Foster and drive good software engineering and quality management practices.
- Ensure the engineering team work efficiently and productively together - prioritise, delegate and supervise engineers’ activities and deliverables.
- Take responsibility for the integration/oversight of outsourced development teams, including the integration of outsourced product code.
- Analyse, propose, and manage budgets, technologies, and resources for projects.
- Define and implement policies, procedures, and infrastructure so that products can be designed and developed on schedule and on budget.
- Undertake hands-on work as an engineer within the team, including peer review, software development, troubleshooting and mentoring.
- Work with staff representing customers, e.g. pre-sales, product management, and support to ensure that stories/bugs are well defined/understood by the engineering team.
- Hire new talent for the team and offer coaching and development opportunities.
- Manage, support, and evaluate engineers’ performance.
- Work closely with QA to ensure a high-quality product.
- Define and document SoPs across the whole SDLC and ensuring they form an integral part of the company QMS.
- Provide input into strategic technical decisions and solutions, when needed.
We are looking for candidates with the following skills/experiences:
- Passionate about building strong, trusted relationships with our engineering team, and other key stakeholders
- 3+ years’ experience in a management / team-leading role.
- Experience in managing internal and external (outsourced) development teams
- Have senior development experience, including:
- Java 11, Springframework, Angular 12
- Elasticsearch, MongoDb, Kafka
- Kubernetes and Knative
- Terraform, Ansible
- Elk, Prometheus, Grafana
- Amazon Web Services and Google Cloud Platform.
- Excellent communicator – both verbal and written
- A team player who enjoys leading, mentoring and coaching.
Ready to Apply?
If you are reading through this advert and are thinking 'Wow, this sounds like me!', then why are you still reading?!